“Pitchfork: When it was originally misreported that Vulnicura was produced by Arca, instead of co-produced by you and Arca, it reminded me of the Joni Mitchell quote from the height of her fame about how whichever man was in the room with her got credit for her genius.
B: Yeah, I didn’t want to talk about that kind of thing for 10 years, but then I thought, “You’re a coward if you don’t stand up. Not for you, but for women. Say something.” So around 2006, I put something on my website where I cleared something up, because it’d been online so many times that it was becoming a fact. It wasn’t just one journalist getting it wrong, everybody was getting it wrong. I’ve done music for, what, 30 years? I’ve been in the studio since I was 11; Alejandro had never done an album when I worked with him. He wanted to putting something on his own Twitter, just to say it’s co-produced. I said, “No, we’re never going to win this battle. Let’s just leave it.”But he insisted. I’ve sometimes thought about releasing a map of all my albums and just making it clear who did what. But it always comes across as so defensive that, like, it’s pathetic. I could obviously talk about this for a long time. [laughs]
Pitchfork: The world has a difficult time with the female auteur.
B: I have nothing against Kanye West. Help me with this—I’m not dissing him—this is about how people talk about him. With the last album he did, he got all the best beatmakers on the planet at the time to make beats for him. A lot of the time, he wasn’t even there. Yet no one would question his authorship for a second. If whatever I’m saying to you now helps women, I’m up for saying it. For example, I did 80% of the beats on Vespertine and it took me three years to work on that album, because it was all microbeats—it was like doing a huge embroidery piece. Matmos came in the last two weeks and added percussion on top of the songs, but they didn’t do any of the main parts, and they are credited everywhere as having done the whole album. [Matmos’] Drew [Daniel] is a close friend of mine, and in every single interview he did, he corrected it. And they don’t even listen to him. It really is strange.”
- @maagaggie no, but I've got some good ones of my in-home sex swing... 1 hour ago
- Deficits only matter when a Democrat is president. Dead soldiers definitely only matter when a Democrat is president. #tcot #MAGA 2 hours ago
- (addendum: about 30-40 percent of Americans _want to live_ in a sad, hateful, and pretty much hella racist and sexist shit-hole.) 3 hours ago
- Which is to say, America ca. 2017 is a sad, hateful, and pretty much hella racist and sexist shit-hole. 3 hours ago
- We get daily reminders that President Pussygrabber in a gigantic asshole. But worth remembering this is _exactly why people voted for him_. 3 hours ago
- RT @sarahkendzior: Being POTUS requires you sacrifice for this country. Trump cannot sacrifice for any reason. To him, the concept is abhor… 8 hours ago
- Wet Casements: Eleven Thoughts On Bladerunner 2049 (Spoilers!) wetcasements.blogspot.com/2017/10/eleven… 9 hours ago