“Pitchfork: When it was originally misreported that Vulnicura was produced by Arca, instead of co-produced by you and Arca, it reminded me of the Joni Mitchell quote from the height of her fame about how whichever man was in the room with her got credit for her genius.
B: Yeah, I didn’t want to talk about that kind of thing for 10 years, but then I thought, “You’re a coward if you don’t stand up. Not for you, but for women. Say something.” So around 2006, I put something on my website where I cleared something up, because it’d been online so many times that it was becoming a fact. It wasn’t just one journalist getting it wrong, everybody was getting it wrong. I’ve done music for, what, 30 years? I’ve been in the studio since I was 11; Alejandro had never done an album when I worked with him. He wanted to putting something on his own Twitter, just to say it’s co-produced. I said, “No, we’re never going to win this battle. Let’s just leave it.”But he insisted. I’ve sometimes thought about releasing a map of all my albums and just making it clear who did what. But it always comes across as so defensive that, like, it’s pathetic. I could obviously talk about this for a long time. [laughs]
Pitchfork: The world has a difficult time with the female auteur.
B: I have nothing against Kanye West. Help me with this—I’m not dissing him—this is about how people talk about him. With the last album he did, he got all the best beatmakers on the planet at the time to make beats for him. A lot of the time, he wasn’t even there. Yet no one would question his authorship for a second. If whatever I’m saying to you now helps women, I’m up for saying it. For example, I did 80% of the beats on Vespertine and it took me three years to work on that album, because it was all microbeats—it was like doing a huge embroidery piece. Matmos came in the last two weeks and added percussion on top of the songs, but they didn’t do any of the main parts, and they are credited everywhere as having done the whole album. [Matmos’] Drew [Daniel] is a close friend of mine, and in every single interview he did, he corrected it. And they don’t even listen to him. It really is strange.”
- Why Brainiac Mattered, According to the Breeders, the Wrens, and More pitchfork.com/thepitch/1528-… via @pitchfork 6 hours ago
- RT @ezlusztig: Wow - Der Spiegel is not pulling punches. spon.de/aeYVT via @SPIEGELONLINE 6 hours ago
- @ezlusztig @SPIEGELONLINE Cheeto Von Pee-On-Me 6 hours ago
- RT @TABECHAUYO: 本日もやっていきましょう。 https://t.co/YtGY46YcJN 6 hours ago
- Very nice to see that "Get Out" is playing in lovely South Korea. @JordanPeele 6 hours ago
- RT @EricKleefeld: When will moderate figures in the white male Republican community speak up and take responsibility? 1 day ago
- @SpeakerRyan @USCBO because it's junk insurance that won't actually cover anybody's medical costs 1 day ago