“Pitchfork: When it was originally misreported that Vulnicura was produced by Arca, instead of co-produced by you and Arca, it reminded me of the Joni Mitchell quote from the height of her fame about how whichever man was in the room with her got credit for her genius.
B: Yeah, I didn’t want to talk about that kind of thing for 10 years, but then I thought, “You’re a coward if you don’t stand up. Not for you, but for women. Say something.” So around 2006, I put something on my website where I cleared something up, because it’d been online so many times that it was becoming a fact. It wasn’t just one journalist getting it wrong, everybody was getting it wrong. I’ve done music for, what, 30 years? I’ve been in the studio since I was 11; Alejandro had never done an album when I worked with him. He wanted to putting something on his own Twitter, just to say it’s co-produced. I said, “No, we’re never going to win this battle. Let’s just leave it.”But he insisted. I’ve sometimes thought about releasing a map of all my albums and just making it clear who did what. But it always comes across as so defensive that, like, it’s pathetic. I could obviously talk about this for a long time. [laughs]
Pitchfork: The world has a difficult time with the female auteur.
B: I have nothing against Kanye West. Help me with this—I’m not dissing him—this is about how people talk about him. With the last album he did, he got all the best beatmakers on the planet at the time to make beats for him. A lot of the time, he wasn’t even there. Yet no one would question his authorship for a second. If whatever I’m saying to you now helps women, I’m up for saying it. For example, I did 80% of the beats on Vespertine and it took me three years to work on that album, because it was all microbeats—it was like doing a huge embroidery piece. Matmos came in the last two weeks and added percussion on top of the songs, but they didn’t do any of the main parts, and they are credited everywhere as having done the whole album. [Matmos’] Drew [Daniel] is a close friend of mine, and in every single interview he did, he corrected it. And they don’t even listen to him. It really is strange.”
- RT @XLNB: White People: “MLK is an American hero who stood up for equality, justice, and peaceful, non-violent protest.” *Colin Kaepernic… 23 minutes ago
- dude, I've been replaced as the top Trip Advisor (in English) reviewer for Daegu. This. Shall. Not. Stand! 1 hour ago
- RT @michaelianblack: Please don’t fat shame our morbidly obese piece of shit president. 1 hour ago
- @jonallendc bullshit e-mail server "scandals" maybe? 2 hours ago
- RT @TheOnion: Male Gaze Falls On Buffalo Chicken Bites trib.al/WwARdGk https://t.co/jFu5bYR7lE 3 hours ago
- @TimODee16 not sure what's worse -- a grown man eating McDonald's or eating off of paper plates 5 hours ago
- @GaryLegum deadspin.com/donald-trump-i… 5 hours ago