“Pitchfork: When it was originally misreported that Vulnicura was produced by Arca, instead of co-produced by you and Arca, it reminded me of the Joni Mitchell quote from the height of her fame about how whichever man was in the room with her got credit for her genius.
B: Yeah, I didn’t want to talk about that kind of thing for 10 years, but then I thought, “You’re a coward if you don’t stand up. Not for you, but for women. Say something.” So around 2006, I put something on my website where I cleared something up, because it’d been online so many times that it was becoming a fact. It wasn’t just one journalist getting it wrong, everybody was getting it wrong. I’ve done music for, what, 30 years? I’ve been in the studio since I was 11; Alejandro had never done an album when I worked with him. He wanted to putting something on his own Twitter, just to say it’s co-produced. I said, “No, we’re never going to win this battle. Let’s just leave it.”But he insisted. I’ve sometimes thought about releasing a map of all my albums and just making it clear who did what. But it always comes across as so defensive that, like, it’s pathetic. I could obviously talk about this for a long time. [laughs]
Pitchfork: The world has a difficult time with the female auteur.
B: I have nothing against Kanye West. Help me with this—I’m not dissing him—this is about how people talk about him. With the last album he did, he got all the best beatmakers on the planet at the time to make beats for him. A lot of the time, he wasn’t even there. Yet no one would question his authorship for a second. If whatever I’m saying to you now helps women, I’m up for saying it. For example, I did 80% of the beats on Vespertine and it took me three years to work on that album, because it was all microbeats—it was like doing a huge embroidery piece. Matmos came in the last two weeks and added percussion on top of the songs, but they didn’t do any of the main parts, and they are credited everywhere as having done the whole album. [Matmos’] Drew [Daniel] is a close friend of mine, and in every single interview he did, he corrected it. And they don’t even listen to him. It really is strange.”
- Parliament-Funkadelic - The Mothership Connection (1976) youtu.be/CiTh8BQ4oVU via @YouTube 8 hours ago
- obviously, he couldn't be bothered to serve. too busy evicting black folks from his daddy's properties... 21 hours ago
- The funniest thing about Trumpolini trying to ban Trans folks is that you know he'd have been fragged within minutes of arriving in 'Nam... 21 hours ago
- RT @GeorgeTakei: History shall record that you are not only the stupidest, most incompetent president ever, but also the cruelest and petti… 21 hours ago
- @cindynorth1 Jake sounds like a cool snoring dude like me! 21 hours ago
- RT @funder: Trump's Vietnam Draft Documents Are Going Viral In Light Of His Transgender Military Ban #TransRightsAreHumanRights https://t.… 21 hours ago
- My first bowl of samgyetang for the summer. It's growing on me, but boiling a whole chicken still seems wrong,… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago