“At the heart of the San Franciscan tech industry is a paradox. It’s a paradox about creativity coming to terms with its place in capitalism. Hacking, computer engineering, the entire ethos of changing the world with communications technology, is supposed to be about more than money – but money is what a job for a big tech firm now means. And money changes things. ‘Don’t be evil’ was the mantra of Google, but there is some anxiety that ‘evil’, or at least callousness, is attaching itself to tech corporations anyway. Google, like other Bay Area firms, is anxious to preserve its benign social reputation; none of its employees was allowed to speak to me on the record about gentrification and cultural anxiety. Tech workers don’t want to see the Mission emptied of poor families. But it’s happening anyway.
Tech still sees itself as an upstart industry challenging power, even when it has become that power. It sees itself as a field of outsiders, which is why it is difficult for tech workers to comprehend that they are now the privileged insiders who are resented by artists and communities of colour. The graffito ‘Techies go home’, scrawled on the sidewalk outside one business in Oakland, was posted on Twitter by an angry, anguished tech worker who explained that she was ‘born here’”.
- RT @IronStache: .@SpeakerRyan doesn't want to answer questions that aren't pre-screened. He won't like my TV ad. Help get it on @CNN https:… 26 minutes ago
- RT @ColMorrisDavis: Nazi turd @TheMadDimension isn't even "Twitter-Brave" ... he deleted his tweet. A week ago a girl tackled him as he was… 26 minutes ago
- RT @sahluwal: Some restaurants in Boston are refusing to serve Nazis. #fightsupremacy https://t.co/I4OBLisVE3 32 minutes ago
- RT @dickfundy: Dear Mother, The battle continues but the men's spirits haven't been this disheartened since they put women in Ghostbusters… 1 hour ago
- RT @PatsHoppedUp: There's a group of witches counter-protesting the Boston alt-right rally and I'm ready to become Supreme and lead a KC ch… 1 hour ago
- RT @MildredVon: Cathay Williams: born a slave, she dressed as a man so she could serve in the US Army during the Civil War. There's your n… 1 hour ago
- @iamkimiam DOESN'T MATTER CUZ IT'S METAL AS FUCK 1 hour ago